Effective Date: March 5, 2014
- INFORMATION COLLECTION PRACTICES
- INFORMATION SHARING
- DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION & FINANCIAL DATA
- GUEST ACCESS TO INFORMATION
- GUEST CHOICE REGARDING COLLECTION, USE AND DISTRIBUTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- NOTICE CONCERNING CHILDREN
- WEBSITE AREAS BEYOND THE AQUARIUM'S CONTROL
- PUBLIC FORUMS AND THIRD-PARTY PLATFORMS
- CONTACTING US
- UPDATES AND CHANGES
With respect to our membership and fundraising practices, we adhere to A Donor Bill of Rights, which requires that we handle all information about our Members and Donors with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law. Members and Donors always have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from any lists that we may intend to share pursuant to this Policy.
2. INFORMATION COLLECTION PRACTICES.
We collect personal and anonymous information from our Guests and may use this information to create aggregate information. We may share information as further described in Section 3. The types of information we collect are described as follows ("Collected Information"):
- Location Information. When Guests access the Services virtually, we have the ability to recognize Guests' domain names, IP addresses (the number assigned to computers and mobile devices on the internet) and general physical location. No personal information about you is revealed in this process. Your IP address is used to help identify your computer and your shopping cart and to gather broad demographic information about you.
- Use, Viewing and Technical Information. The Services may also gather anonymous "traffic data" that does not personally identify you, such as which pages you visit, how you are accessing the Services, how long you use the Services and the site you visited immediately before arriving at one of our websites. This anonymous information is used for marketing purposes, is shared with business partners and advertisers and is analyzed to help us improve the Services for our visitors.
- Personal Information. In order for you to access certain services and information, make donations and purchases, we require you to provide us with certain information that personally identifies you ("Personal Information"). Personal Information may be provided via our virtual Services as well as in person or through the mail and includes the following categories of information:
- Contact Data (such as your name, mailing address and e-mail address), which you may provide when you create an account or subscribe to our e-mail newsletter. We may use your Contact Data to contact you regarding your purchase, donation or visit to the Aquarium, or your use of our websites or applications. We may also use your Contact Data to send you information or promotional materials about the Aquarium, our partners' products or services and to solicit donations or invite you to become a member of the Aquarium.
- Financial Data (such as your bank account or credit card number) which you provide when you make a purchase or donation through our sites or applications. We may use Financial Data you have provided to bill you for products and services you have requested.
- Demographic Data (such as your zip code, age and income). We may use your Demographic Data to customize and tailor your experience by displaying content that we think you might be interested in and according to your preferences.
- Other Data which you provide by communicating with us by e-mail, via social media sites, text message or other electronic means, by accessing the Services through a third-party site or service, by posting messages to any of our chat groups, bulletin boards or forums, or by completing online forms, surveys or contest entries through our Services.
- Comments and Suggestions. We welcome your feedback and provide opportunities throughout the Services and at the Aquarium for you to submit comments and ideas, make suggestions, request information and to report problems. Even if you contact us through one of our forms through the Services, we cannot determine your e-mail address unless you include it in your response. We may wish to post your feedback and will do so anonymously, or will identify you by your first name, initials, or display name only, unless you specifically authorize otherwise. Please note that any suggestions or ideas you submit to us will become the property of the Aquarium and can be used by us for any purpose.
- Surveys. If you choose to participate in one of our surveys, we may ask you for certain Demographic and other Personal Information. We do not share this information with others.
- Interactive Programs. Our Services may contain interactive programs in which you can participate. Any information that you provide will be stored in our system and will not be shared with others.
- E-mail Newsletter Subscription. If you choose to subscribe to our e-mail newsletter, we may use your e-mail address to display our advertising material on your Facebook or other social network News Feed or home page. Subscription to our e-mail newsletter is your consent to allow us hash (encrypt) your e-mail address for marketing purposes.
3. INFORMATION SHARING.
We may share certain categories of Collected Information we collect from you as follows:
- Third-Party Affiliates and Other Tax Exempt Organization. From time to time we may share minimal Personal Information in the form of donor lists or list of members with affiliated entities or other tax exempt organization with which we have on-going relationships. If you do not wish your Personal Information to be included in the lists we share with such third parties, simply elect to decline the sharing of such Personal Information with Affiliates or other Tax Exempt Organizations when you join or renew your membership or donation commitment or contact us directly.
- Third-Party Advertisers. We share Demographic Data, Use, Viewing and Technical Information and Location Information with advertisers and other third parties, but only on an aggregate (i.e., non-personally identifiable) basis.
- Third-Party Direct Marketers. We do not share your information with third-party direct marketers, unless you opt-in to such sharing. If you choose to "opt in" when submitting your Personal Information, we may share your Contact Data with other companies who may send you information about their products or services. If you do not want us to share your Personal Information with any third-party marketers, please do not select the "opt in" option when submitting your Personal Information, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may still share certain information with third parties in order to perform certain services related to operation of the Services as described elsewhere in the Policy.
- Third Parties Performing Services. We utilize outside businesses to perform certain services relating to our operation of the Services (such as website hosting, ticket sales, membership information management, pressroom, job board management, billing, fulfillment, e-mail hashing for marketing purposes and data storage and security) related to our operation of the Services. Those businesses include, but are not limited to, Gateway Ticketing Systems, Inc. and The Stelter Company. We share your Collected Information, including Contact and Financial Data, with those businesses only so that they may perform services relating to operation of our Services. We require those businesses to uphold the same standards of security and confidentiality that we have promised to you in this Policy, and they will only use your Personal Information to carry out their specific business obligations to the Aquarium. If you do not want us to share your Personal Information, including your Contact and Financial Data with our third-party service providers, please e-mail us at email@example.com. Please understand that such a request will likely limit your ability to take advantage of all of the features and services we offer.
4. DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION & FINANCIAL DATA.
We may disclose Personal Information if required to do so by law or legal process served on the Aquarium or its subsidiaries or affiliates, or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (1) facilitate compliance with laws; (2) protect and defend the rights or property of the Aquarium or our Guests; or (3) act under exigent circumstances to protect the safety of the public or our Guests. We may disclose Financial Data if required to do so by law, including in compliance with legal process served on the Aquarium, its subsidiaries or affiliates.
5. GUEST ACCESS TO INFORMATION.
- Job Board. We use a third-party service provider, SnapHire, to host our job board. If you create an online account in order to access the job board, you may review and correct information in your account's personal profile. If you wish to delete your account, you may do so by contacting us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Press Room. We use a third-party service provider, Nasdaq OMX, to host our Press Room. If you create an online account in order to access the Press Room, you may review and correct your information or delete your account, via your account's personal profile. Collected Information. You may request that we remove all Collected Information about you from our database by contacting us via e-mail at email@example.com.
- Mailing Lists. If you subscribe to our e-newsletter, you may unsubscribe by clicking the link at the bottom of the e-mail and following the prompts. If you do not wish to receive mailings from us via U.S. Mail, you may request we remove you from our list by contacting us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org; or via mail: Monterey Bay Aquarium Foundation, 886 Cannery Row Monterey, CA 93940.
6. GUEST CHOICE REGARDING COLLECTION, USE AND DISTRIBUTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION.
You may choose to withhold your Personal Information from us. In such an event, you can still access and use many of the Services; however you will not be able to access and use those portions of the Services that require your Personal Information. If you wish to receive information and promotional material from us or from our partners, you may select the appropriate "opt in" option each time we ask you for Personal Information.
7. NOTICE CONCERNING CHILDREN.
At the Aquarium, we are especially concerned with protecting the privacy of children who using our Services. We fully support and are in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, though nonprofit organizations such as ours are not subject to its provisions. Please note the following:
- We require the consent of the parent or legal guardian of any Guest under the age of 13 before we collect or use any Personal Information.
- If we collect Personal Information from children, it is only to be able to furnish information regarding participation in programs such as the Student Oceanography Club.
- We do not ask children for other information, and we never share the information we collect with anyone outside of the Aquarium.
- At any time, a child's parent may review the child's Personal Information, ask us to delete it and refuse to allow any further collection or use of information from the child.
You may consent to our collection of Personal Information from your child by sending us an e-mail identifying yourself and your child and authorizing us to collect personal information from your child. You can reach us via e-mail at email@example.com.
The Services have security measures designed to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of information that we obtain from you. However, you should be careful about the personal information which you provide to us through the Services because we make no assurances about our ability to prevent any loss or expense to you or to any third-party arising out of any breach in our security measures. If you have established an Aquarium online account and become aware that your Guest name or password has been compromised, you must notify us immediately so that we may promptly take the appropriate measures to protect your Personal Information.
9. WEBSITE AREAS BEYOND THE AQUARIUM'S CONTROL.
This Policy applies only to Services provided and administered by the Aquarium: www.montereybayaquarium.org, www.seafoodwatch.org, and the Seafood Watch and Monterey Bay Aquarium Mobile Applications. Any other websites, applications or platforms that you may be able to access through our Services may have data collection and use practices and policies that differ materially from this Policy. Please be sure to review third-party policies, as the Aquarium is not responsible for the privacy policies, if any, of such other services.
10. PUBLIC FORUMS AND THIRD-PARTY PLATFORMS.
The Services may include or access interactive forums or third-party sites and services such as message boards, social media platforms, chat rooms and third-party websites and applications. The Services may also be accessible through or access third-party sites or platforms, such as social media sites. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas may become public. You should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information through public forums and should carefully review third-party privacy policies and terms and conditions, as we are not responsible for third-party sites or services.
11. CONTACTING US.
If you have any questions about this Policy or our practices related to our Services, or if you would like to manage information in your online account or otherwise related to our Services, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. UPDATES AND CHANGES.
This Policy is effective as of the date posted above. We reserve the right, at any time, to revise this Policy simply by posting a revised Policy and without any notice to you. Any such revision will be effective immediately upon posting. It is your responsibility to review this Policy from time to time to ensure that you continue to agree with all of its terms.